Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Concerned about little e

We got some updated numbers on little e. She's hardly growing. Nothing in height or head circumference. She's gained only a pound and a half in weight. They were concerned enough about it at our agency that the Ethiopian director called me. She sent an email to the staff in Addis to get clarification (little e, it turns out, was moved from Durame to Addis on Dec. 12).

The latest email P from the agency got from Addis said that little e had been sick--vomiting and diarrhea--when she was moved to Addis. She's better now and is feeding well and is being watched closely by the pediatrician. As to how she is developing, the Addis staff said she doesn't have progressive development as her peers as she is a malnourished child.

It's the last sentence that worries me. I don't know what it means. But it definitely isn't the happy progress report we were hoping for. P at the agency is following up with some more questions.

P said that she didn't think the Addis staff sounded worried about little e. Perhaps I'm reading too much into that sentence. I hope so. I feel so helpless and frustrated. I didn't even know little e had been sick. I didn't know she was that malnourished. No one had even told me that she'd been moved from Durame to Addis (a month ago).

Perhaps you can send some thoughts and prayers little e's way. It's her 16th month birthday today.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry for the concerning reports. During our wait, the reports/videos/measurements were always disturbing to us in some way or another, and we really felt like we didn't know what to expect when it was finally time to travel. But when we saw her the first time we were stunned to see a much improved little girlie, smiling at us! Prayers that your precious babe will grow and thrive, and that she will stay healthy. And hugs to you while you wait. It is so hard to be apart from our little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of have mixed feelings about this but I know you guys must be really concerned! I'm so sorry you weren't aware of it before. Did the agency just not know?? I am sure once you hold her in your arms you will feel at ease!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOON, soon, soon you will be there SOON. She will gain weight and become healthy soon. You will be able to reverse that malnutrition soon. Praying for her, for you, and for that travel date!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She will be in your arms very soon...and hopefully she is on the mend from whatever "bug" she caught last month. My son (also 16mo) had a bad stomach bug in late November...he was sick for over a week with the same symptoms and high fevers...after he started to feel better we realized he had lost a lot of weight (on little one's it's easy for them to lose body mass quickly when sick, since they aren't eating normally and nothings staying "down")...I'm thinking that's what happened with little e too. I hope Holt will give you more answers about the "malnourished" comment - I can't imagine she is still malnourished after being in their care for so long already...definitely get clarification from them on that.

    I'm so sorry your update wasn't has reassuring as you had hoped/expected. And I think it's wrong that they didn't inform you about these issue and the fact that she was moved in mid-december, until now...communications between Holt and ET staff really needs improvement!

    Praying for you all and little e! hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear about how much weight she gains her first month home!

    ReplyDelete